Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Scripture to Memorize

Here's a list of 40 Bible verses I have compiled for my children to memorize and also for my wife and I to use weekly as simple and easy platforms to catechise (instruct) our children with.
    The Spirit moved me deeply last year reading Colossians 3:16 where it states, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly...".  and, well, I was convicted that It -- the Word --wasn't dwelling deeply much of anywhere inside me or my family, so one idea I had among many was to set about to find a list "out there" of Bible passages to use for memorization.  We'd been doing a bit of this but nothing very orderly.  Unfortunately, most of what I found were only happy, feel-good verses (typically taken out of it's context) or they didn't reflect the whole counsel of God's Word even in the slightest.  
     I want my children to wrestle with the tough passages of Scripture as well as the "common sense" or easy ones.  I want God's Word to prepare them to understand and deal with death, temptation, laughter, Satan, irony, ungodly neighbors, cheats, heralding the Good News, liars, hyperbole and being patient with Christians (perhaps the most difficult task on the planet).
     So, I went about assembling a list that I hope reflects some of all that.  I've put together two lists so far, and this list below will likely last us through 2011.  My other is mainly comprised of Proverbs, more of the coram Deo emphasis (before God's face) dealing with day-to-day struggles and decisions.
     My wife goes over one verse a week in the mornings before our kids lessons and then I go over that same verse after dinner each night, coupling it with a Scripture reading.
     Anyway, here they are.  Please feel free to copy them if you so desire, and may God's Word burrow down deep into you and your family's soul.

Genesis 1:1 – “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.”
Luke 17:33 - “Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, but whoever  loses his life will find it.”
Isaiah 6:3 – “Holy, holy, holy is Yahweh of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory!"
Proverbs 30:5 - “Every word of God is true, and He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.”
Matthew 7:12 - “Whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.”
Job 28:28 – “The fear of the Lord is wisdom and to depart from evil is understanding.”

Matthew 22:37-38 (The Greatest Commandment) – Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest commandment.”
Psalm 19:1 – “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.”
Acts 20:35 - “We must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"
1 John 1:8 – “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.”
Galatians 2:20 – “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
Matthew 22:39 (2nd Greatest Commandment) – “Love your neighbor as if he were your very self.”
Romans 8:28 – “We know that all things work together for good to those who love God and who are the called according to His purpose.”
Isaiah 40:8 – “The grass withers and the flower fades but the Word of our God stands forever.”
Hebrews 11:1 – “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”
Philippians 1:21 – “To live is Christ, to die is gain.”
James 1:17 – “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow of changing.”
Proverbs 16:3 – “Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established.”
1 John 2:15 – “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
Proverbs 13:3 – “Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life, but he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.”
Ephesians 4:32 – “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.”
Hebrews 13:5 – “Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for God has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
Romans 12:2 – “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
Philippians 4:6-7 – “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Matthew 5:42 – “Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 -- “Trust in Yahweh with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
Galatians 5:22-23 – “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control against such things there is no law.”
James 1:19-20 - “Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.”
Matthew 28:18 – “Jesus said, “All authority in Heaven and on Earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always even to the end of the age.”
 Psalm 119:105 – “Your word O God is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
Ephesians 2:20 – “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.”
1 Timothy 6:7-8 – “For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out; but having food and clothing, with these things we shall be content.”
Matthew 11:28-30 – “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
2 Timothy 3:16 – “All Scripture is breath out by God and profitable for teaching and reproof and for correction and training in righteousness.”
John 10:14-15 – Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.”
Psalm 34:8-9 – “Oh, taste and see that Yahweh is good. Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him. Oh, fear Yahweh you His saints. For those who fear Him lack nothing.”
Colossians 3:17 – “Whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”
Joshua 1:9 – “Be strong and of good courage, do not be dismayed nor be afraid. For Yahweh your God is with you wherever you go.”
Micah 6:8 – “What does Yahweh require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God.”
John 14:6 – “Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”

1 comment:

  1. Mark says:
    Thanks Corey. Copied...Printed.
    Be seeing you.

    ReplyDelete