Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Baptism is getting no game time

     Here's a lamentable omission in the world of 21st century English Bibles: no pages to record baptisms.  I own several translations and not one of them has a page to record a baptism, either with water or without water  (i.e. "dedications to the Lord").  They have a "Deaths" page, a  "Marriages" page, a "Births" page, a "Occasions to Remember" page but no baptism page.  Not even my fancy-dancy Cambridge ESV goatskin version has anything more than a "Belongs to" page.  What's up with that?
     Because in my mind, here's how my lifeline is structured:  birth, baptism, marriage, death and resurrection, and I'd like to have a line for each one of these events within the most important book I own so I can write down a date and a place which will enable me, and others after me, to look back with joy and see God's intentional action in my life (yes, even resurrection because we're coming back here one day and I'm gonna find that Bible and write the date in it to God's glory). 

    That being said, still, how in God's green Creation can our privately published, commercialized, free-market Bibles -- which within their pages are replete with baptisms -- not include a remembrance page for baptisms, and yet seemingly think of everything else?  This is a Book, mind you, chocked full of baptisms, or baptismal metaphor, where God either commissions them to be done, or commands others to perform them, or He himself baptises "with fire".
     Now, I'm sure there are publishers out there currently that have included a baptism page (and please let me know if you know of one), but I've leafed through quite a number of contemporary Bibles and to find a baptism page is rare.  Yet, older Bibles almost always had one.  This obviously communicates to the Christians buying Bibles today that baptism is unimportant and irrelevant in the Christian life.  Is this just a dreadful attempt to be "neutral" on the issue?  Not quite sure, though a couple of  things are for sure: one cannot be neutral or indifferent on the issue, and it is terribly important to God, both in the Old and New Covenants, no matter what Bible publishers do.  In Scripture God continually talks about baptism and even goes so far as to command that every new disciple/believer in Jesus should have water placed upon him or her and that Yahwah's revealed New Covenant name -- Father, Son, Holy Spirit -- should be set upon him or her thus sealing that person to Himself.
    So, in my judgment, if we're going to put special memorial pages within our Bibles at all this should be one of the most important there is.  I think we really should voice our concern when possible to our Bible publishers concerning the omission of baptism pages and ask them to be included in our Bibles.  One can do this by words or by wallet, both work well, though the latter usually working best unfortunately.
    All that to say though, and I'll leave you with this thought, is that deep down, symbols are important and can communicate the Truth more richly and mysteriously than we can even articulate, and to write one's baptism date somewhere inside the Word of God as a page of remembrance and thereby declaring when the triune God was pleased to stamp you with His holy name, can certainly be a symbolically satisfying act upon one's soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment