Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Written Word vs. Face-to-Face

My friend Joel Wilhelm wrote a short post over on his blog A Living Text concerning the differences and dynamics between writing to one another versus face-to-face communications when serious issues and/or disagreements arise.   
       The maxim in the Church is that face-to-face is always best in all circumstances.  Are we certain on this?  Jesus doesn't seem to think so since the primary way He communicates to us now is by His written Word.  And Paul writes to the Corinthian Christians about how he is "bold" in his letters but not as much so when he is with them in person (2 Corinthians 10:1-3).  These two different examples should -- at the very least -- cause us to re-evaluate the conventional "face-to-face is always the way to go" mantra so accepted among God's People.
        For awhile now I've thought that this topic deserved a bit more exposure  than it has received especially in our email/facebook age, so I'm glad Joel took it up.  Check it out here and the comments too.
        Perhaps too read the intro to my post The Enticing Turkish Delight that is Public Ed for some further thoughts concerning writing to one another over serious relational issues.  Ya know, if ya want...

2 comments:

  1. Of course, there are other passages which also point to times when it is better to talk face-to-face: 3 John 13-14: "I had much to write to you, but I would rather not write with pen and ink. I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face." And 1 Cor 11:34, "About the other things I will give directions when I come."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, no doubt, face-to-face cannot be beat in some circumstances and is certainly best many times (Jesus showed up 2000 years ago and did just that) but my point is that it isn't in ALL times and situations. To know what is best calls for wisdom and considering one another in love.

    ReplyDelete