Friday, December 2, 2016

Narrow Gate Slips and Trips

Jesus said,  "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."  Matthew 7.13-14

I often hear folks refer to the Christian life as the "straight and narrow" or the narrow path, narrow way, etc.  For some reason or another we speak as though even after we enter the narrow gate to Life that the "path" -- following Jesus -- is still narrow and difficult. Certainly, life in our fallen "flesh" can be miserable and true suffering and dying to ourselves can, and will, be taking place if we are genuinely regenerate and born-again.  That is being a disciple; that is picking up your cross; that is being a living sacrifice.

BUT, within that struggle, that suffering and repentance is a clear, free, and joyful "place" we occupy every moment of every day as we deeply know and dwell in the agape-love of our triune God.  We are in Messiah and have already entered through the narrow gate, and that puts our feet on new ground.  No longer is our way dark and difficult but wide, smooth and bright.

Here's a little sampling below of what I think is a more accurate, Biblical view to hold concerning our "path" as we follow the King with our cross firmly on our back.   Check it out:

"You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; Your gentleness has made me great. You enlarged my path under me; So my feet did not slip." 2 Samuel 22.36-37

"They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.  He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me."  Psalm 18.18-19

"I will be glad and rejoice in Your mercy, for You have considered my trouble; You have known my soul in adversities, and have not shut me up into the hand of the enemy; You have set my feet in a wide place."  Psalm 31.7-8

"Teach me Your way, O Yahweh, and lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies." Psalm 27.11

"The path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the perfect day." Proverbs 4.18


Or to state it succinctly:  Cruciform Mirth  😉

No comments:

Post a Comment